Saturday 8 June 2013

Make do. Mend. CREATE.


 
I was watching a programme about pre war fashions AMAZING, of course during the 40's rationing meant that making extravagant new frocks with brand new fabric wasn't possible. Some of the piece's that people created were just bloody amazing, made of curtains and their husbands old trousers, that kind of thing.
 
 I love that mentality, its so creative and resourceful and in our modern times its cool to be able to recycle something too. As the majority of our society (including me and all my friends) have restricted funds this mentality applies more than ever, you only need basic sewing skills IF THAT to be able to transform something. Even some kitchen bleach and a pair of scissors and as much imagination as you can muster, you can actually do anything.
 
 This dress was a 1960's ball gown that belonged to a friend of my grandma's. It was mega tiny and didn't do up around my shoulders, I wanted a quick fix so I just tacked the upper part of the back inside itself to create a deep V back, and then I cut and hemmed the skirt length to knee height to create a more fifties silhouette. Now I know we don't all have a old ball gown lying around, I'm lucky to have inherited a special piece. But the mentality is the same, old tablecloth-new dress, crappy t shirt- new crop top, old caravan curtains-new jacket................. don't be restricted by your skill base or worrying about people knowing what its made off. Now doesn't that old floral bed sheet of yours suddenly look more exciting........................

5 comments:

Ross Mountney said...

Love the dress - love your approach - so clever. And it looks so great on you - ready for any red carpet. Wouldn't it be great to go to one of those posh celeb dos wearing something like this instead of a massively expensive designer piece that has probably raped the earth! Roll on the day! xxx

Klara Bow Piechocki said...

I made my first dress a couple of weeks back and I'm planning to do more. I think make-do and mend is a great way to develop your style too, it forces you out the box :)

higglepea home ed said...

One of the best things I love about creating make do and mend clothing is that each piece remade is utterly individual and completely unique to the wearer. x Now that is priceless! x

bubblesarah said...

good to know people are spreading the word! I love doing stuff like this!

Unknown said...

your all so right, creating something from scratch, seeing a flat bit of fabric become a 3d piece is just magic, as is customising or altering something to become only yours. In this mass produced world we are leading the revolution for the individual.