Wednesday 27 March 2013

Women are Funny AND Intelligent? Well, that is news to me...



Of course, I’m being sarcastic. And if you didn’t get that, you need a lesson son. 

Here’s the thing, in the last year the amount of female positive exposure in the media, the news, TV Shows, magazines and just general chit chat has been incredible, with shows like Miranda, Anna & Katy, New Girl, GIRLS, Two broke Girls; I mean look at all that Girl Power. Strong, funny, smart women are in abundance, but I can’t be the only one who already knew this, surely?

It feels like every few years, there is this surge of media attention on women, a trend if you will, that disappears as soon as it hit the front page of Take a Break magazine. One show follows another show, then another and then it’s forgotten. Yes people, women are funny. Do I have to mention those who have been around for years, decades even? Well I’m going to anyway. Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, Tamsin Grieg, Tina Fey, Jo Brand or how about the amazing sketch show Smack the Pony, which I loved and was probably a little inappropriate for my age when it was its on, but god do I love those women. I’m surrounded by smart, witty women every day; I don’t need to be reminded every time I turn onto Channel4 with a montage of faces flashing before my eyes and ol’shouty man repeating “Funny Women!” like it’s a shocking statement. Ok, I’m starting to sound like an angry suffragette. But you get the picture. 

What I’m getting at is it feels a bit patronising, like a pat on the head and an “Aww, well done”. I don’t want this positivity to go away, but I think everyone gets it now. So stop going on about it, before it becomes a novelty. Like the ‘Harlem Shake’.

Woman, Out!

No comments: