Wednesday 10 April 2013

Why I Love... Dawn O'Porter


Oh Dawn (That’s right, where on a first name basis now).
What is it about you that I love so much? Oh wait, I know… you’re amazing.

I have loved Dawn O’Porter for years, ever since I watched Super Slim Me back in 2007. Ever since then, every documentary, every article she produces, brings me much Joy and I cannot wait to read Paper Aeroplanes (check out the link http://tinyurl.com/c6r4gxe). O’Porter’s documentaries have ranged from subjects on nudity, polygamy, lesbianism, dating, cancer, pregnancy and childbirth; each as revealing, entertaining and truthful as the last. She LOVES boobs (who doesn’t?), is a true feminist and like so many great women out there, not afraid to express this in her own way.

Some of the main reasons why I admire this woman are her confidence, how funny she is and her views, which I generally always agree with. Even when I’m not 100% in agreement with what she may say (which is very rare), I totally understand why she believes in what she is saying. Since I left secondary school many eons ago, a lot has changed. Friends change, your views change and circumstances change and when watching or reading Dawn’s works, it helped me to understand my own feelings. For one, believing in myself as an individual.

For example, more recently Dawn, who was born Dawn Porter, adopted the ‘O’ when marrying The IT Crowd’s Chris O’Dowd in 2012. She wanted to respect her fiancĂ©’s name, but with-out losing her own. The addition of the ‘O’ resonated with me. Dawn shared a view that I had not shared with any of my close friends or family, mainly for fear of rejection and/or offending. When I was younger and watched shows on TV, I would see girls who’d have a crush on the guy, re-writing Mrs [INSERT CRUSH’S SURNAME HERE], over and over. I never fully understood why. Dawn argued that her name is who she is, and not just as in, “Hello, my name is Dawn Porter”, but in a Troy MacClure-esk “You might remember me from such self-help videos as "Smoke Yourself Thin", and "Get Confident, Stupid!" A name is important; it is how people recognise you, it’s a profession, a business, it is a signature of all your hard work and everything you have built up to, and your’ name has been through it all. This does not mean that I disagree with everyone who changes their name when getting married, I happen to think it is very sweet, very romantic and a great way to show someone that you love them. I just like my name, and that is not a Bad thing.

Now on to her style.
Dawn has a keen sense of style. She knows how to dress for her shape, which is not hard because she has a wonderful figure, and always wears with confidence. I especially love all the long sleek silhouette dresses, and her mixture of vintage prints and vibrant colours, it suits me fine. I admire her choice in wardrobe; she gets the right mix of Girly, sexy, mature and fun, all without showing off too much flesh (again not that I would mind). YES, I am in love.

And I’m going to tell you a secret. I'm slowly trying to steal Dawn’s Hair.




So all I have to say, is thank you Dawn. Smiley face emoticon.


x-x-x

No comments: